[Sca-cooks] RE Drachenwald Coronation/12th Night Menu

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Wed Dec 12 02:33:44 PST 2001

Stefan wrote:
> Lucrezia posted her menu for the Drachenwald Coronation:
> > Thought I would post the Menu. Most of it's from the new translation of
"Das buch von guter spise":
> I may just be losing track of previous conversations, but which
translation is this?

Daz Buch von Guter Spise (Sonderband IX)
Melitta Weiss Adamson.
Available from Devra's Poison Pen Press for 18.00 (got my copy last week,
thanks Devra!)

> > Caraway & anise sauce
> I'm not sure I've seen this. Sounds like it might be good. Probably best
on a strong tasting meat such as roast rather than chicken though.

Actually, no. It's very good with mild flavored items. I especially like it
with cucumber (though I tend to go light on the anise, which I don't like).

> > Salmon parcels (wrapped in dough) <I won't be cooking this one!
> Is this similar to the one in Ruperto de Nola's 1529 "Libre del Coch"? An
interesting recipe. Turned out both myself and another did this recipe for
our recent Cook's Guild meeting.

I have no idea. What is the recipe?

> > Greek rice (half-boiled then fried)
> Any evidence of rice being done this way there (or anywhere else) in
period?

It tells you to do so in the recipe:
5. This is called Greek rice. [Greek Rice]
This is called Greek rice. Take rice and boil it in spring-water. When half
cooked pour away the water, and fry the rice in pure lard. Then pour away
the lard, sprinkle with sugar and serve. Don't oversalt.

> > Boiled chickens two ways (one with garlic and one with bacon & sage)
> Do you just put the chicken parts and the garlic or the chicken parts and
bacon and sage in water and boil them?

I'm not doing this part so I can't tell you til after the feast.

> > Venison with Lord's sauce
> And "Lord's" sauce is?

See above answer.

> > Cherry cake (more like cherry jerky....)
> Is this just mashed cherries that are squished together and then dried?

Not quite, though having a dehydrator would undoubtedly help. Here is the
recipe:
85. A flat cake with sour cherries. [Cherry Flat Cake]
If you want to make a flat cake with sour cherries, take them, remove the
stems, and boil them in a pot until they become dry in their own juice. Then
pour them out, let them cool off, and press them through a cloth. Cover a
board well with honey, spread the cherries on it, and put the board on piece
of wood in an air shaft until it is dry. If you don't have an air shaft,
place it in a cool yard. Divide into cubes, cut it, sprinkle with seasoning,
[fol.164vb] and eat it as a fruit confection.

> > Nuremberg gingerbread
> How does this vary from other medieval gingerbread?

Again, I'm not doing this part so I can't tell you til after the feast.

Ciao
Lucrezia

Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia   |  mka Tina Nevin
Thamesreach Shire, The Isles, Drachenwald | London, UK
mailto:thorngrove at yahoo.com |  http://www.geocities.com/thorngrove
"There is no doubt that great leaders prefer hard drinkers to good
versifiers"
- Aretino, 1536

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postmaster at caci.co.uk

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.