[Sca-cooks] Re: rice pudding & marrow

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Wed Dec 12 18:50:14 PST 2001

Opps - it was grated beef suet they called for--sorry.  But here's the recipe
anyway.
    From To The Queen's Taste

        Rice Pudding
Take halfe a pound of Rice, and steep it in new Milk a whole night, and in
the morning drain it, and let the milk drop away, and take a quart of the
best, sweetest, and thickest Cream, and put the Rice into it, and boyl it a
little.  Then set it to cool an hour or two, and after put in the yolkes of
half a dozen Eggs, a little Pepper, Cloves, mace, Currants, Dates, Sugar, and
Salt, and having mixt them well together, put in great store of Beef suet
well beaten, and small shred, and so put it into the frams, and boyl them as
well before shewed, and serve them after a day old.
        Gervase Markham, The English Hous-wife

1/2 C white rice
3 C milk
1 C heavy cream
2 egg yolks
1/2 C brown sugar
generous 1/8 t salt
1/8 t white pepper
1/8 t cloves
1/8 t mace
1/4 C currants
1/4 C pitted, minced dates
2 T butter or grated suet

1. Combine rice and milk in a heavy enameled pot.  Bring to a gentle boil.
Cover pot. Reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes or until rice is soft.
Drain off excess milk if you wish.

2. Add cream and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Remove from heat.

3. In a bowl, combine remaining ingredients and blend thoroughly.

4. Add mixture to rice and stir to distribute evenly.

5. Cover and cook for 5 minutes over LOW heat.

6. Serve warm or chilled.  Serves 6 (HA)

I might decrease the sugar and increase the spices a touch now that I'm older
and my taste is not as sharp as it used to be...  Soak the currants in a
little warm water if they're too hard and dry...
Devra

Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com
devra at aol.com