[Sca-cooks] Gervase Markham's fruite paste

Jessica Tiffin melisant at iafrica.com
Thu Dec 13 03:59:18 PST 2001

greetings, the list!

Gervase Markham has a recipe for something called "paste of Genoa" - as
follows:
To make paste of Genoa, you shall take Quinces after they have been
boyled soft, and beat them in a mortar with refined sugar, Cinamon and
Ginger finely searst, and Damask-Rose-water till it come to a stiff
paste; and rowl it forth, and print it, and so bake it in a stove; and
in this sort you may make paste of Pears, Apples, Wardens, Plums of all
kinds, Cherries, Barberries, or what other fruits you please.

Has anyone ever actually tried this?  I'm not sure if I should be actually
cooking the sugar/fruit paste in the oven, or drying it out like a fruit
leather.  Does anyone have a redacted recipe or any suggestions?

many thanks,
JdH

Lady Jehanne de Huguenin (Jessica Tiffin) * Drachenwald Kingdom Chronicler
Shire of Adamastor, Cape Town, South Africa
melisant at iafrica.com ***  http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant
Sable, three owls rising argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.