Subject: [Sca-cooks] And now for... UnTurkey

Wed Dec 26 07:23:28 PST 2001

I had the curious experience of catering an Elizabethan wedding dinner
Saturday.  The groom is an ovo-lacterian, who doesn't object to the
carnivores getting their meat as long as there is plenty for him.  The menu
was rice pudding, spinach tart, artichoke pie, fine cakes, compound salad
(to act as a savory) and roast chicken for them what eat meat.  There was
also a non-Elizabethan fruit and nut mix and peach cobbler (at the groom's
request).

Some of the guests expressed surprise that "vegetarian food could taste so
good."  They failed to take into account that the "vegetarian dishes" are
common side dishes which weren't trying to be anything other than
vegetables.  I think the problem most people have with "vegetarian" dishes
is the belief that main dishes should taste like meat and the reality is
they don't.

I was reminded once again why I don't do catering (it's too much like work
and is painful to boot).  And I learned a new trick.  Put the drinks out
first.  It keeps people from crowding into the prep area to find the water.

Bear