[Sca-cooks] Foodie Movie Supreme: Vatel

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 26 13:06:45 PST 2001

OK, i know this is old news to many...

I *finally* rented "Vatel", which came out about a year and a half
ago. I really enjoyed it. And took place only about 70 years out of
"SCA period".

For those who don't know, it's a fictional account of a series of
major feasts and festivities produced by Vatel, a master chef in the
employ of the Prince de Conde', and served to The French Sun King
Louis XIV and his huge and devious entourage.

I was, naturally, especially riveted by the kitchen sequences. I just
kept imagining how much better a feast i could do with such a large
and knowledgeable staff to prepare the food - and such a HUGE
kitchen, ok, series of kitchens...

If you haven't seen it, it's definitely worth renting. Perhaps not
the best acting by everyone in the cast of luminaries, but a very
well done film, and quite a few good acting turns. I felt the
extremely negative reviews were unwarranted. Sure, it wasn't *great*,
but it was really really good. I guess the folks wanted an action
hero and automatic weapons.

Just watching Vatel in the kitchens and coordinating the
entertainments got me in a state of pre-Feast stress :-)

Anahita