[Sca-cooks] images of Lochac (and a new topic - phyllo)

Jennifer Thompson JenniferT at ptb.com
Fri Dec 28 06:06:55 PST 2001

> So now I'm curious - when people think of Lochac, what's the stereotypical
> image? It isn't really sheep, is it?
>
> Kylie

Nope, my first thought is of the magnificent scenery in all those B-class tv
shows that are filmed in New Zealand. Sheena, Lost World, etc, the shows
that you can watch with the mute button on because you really do just watch
the scenery.

But my second thought is sheep. But then, remember that I'm a spinner and
weaver before I'm a cook. So I tend to think of fleece, not mutton.

And obligatory food content - Phyllo dough's not so hard after all. I
finally took the plunge and made spanokopitas to go with the dolmas I'd been
planning on (because I can't make a little tsatziki) and piffle, not so
scary. Though I did discover a trick. I put my remaining half stick of
butter *in* the melted butter bowl, and I could use that to layer the butter
and it didn't tear the dough as much as my fingers did.

Of course, then the hubby said, "these are yummy. Isn't this the same dough
that baklava's made of? Why didn't you make baklava instead?" all in the
same breath. So it looks like I'm making baklava for New Year's. Which will
be a turkey dinner with the traditional trimmings, as we had steaks for
Christmas Eve and spaghetti for Christmas Day. And I yearn for leftover
turkey. See? This is the only place I can admit that and not be thought odd.

Lann