[SCA-Cooks] ham advice

morgancain at earthlink.net morgancain at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 28 09:08:30 PST 2001

> Huh? From earlier discussions here, particularly in regards to some
> period recipes, I though "parboil" meant a quick boil. Several hours
> doesn't sound like that definition of "parboil". Did you really just
> mean "boil"? Or have I got my definition of "parboil" wrong? Or both?

Yes.  <G>   Check your cooking dictionary - "parboil" means to cook partially by boiling, usually as the first step to some other cooking method (roasting, grilling) that might not fully cook the interior before the outside is done or starting to char.

So if by "quick" you mean "short," then your assumption is correct, but it is not a completely-to-cooked boil.

                                     ---= Morgan

"Faith is believing what common sense tells you not to."
      ---= Doris Walker (Maureen O'Hara), "Miracle on 34th Street