[Sca-cooks] re:Propane fire washtubs

Mercy Neumark mneumark at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 31 07:19:02 PST 2001

>Are we talking about using a galvanized washtub, as in, zinc plated? >Are
>we heating this with food inside it in direct contact?

>I ask because various metalworkers have told me that you have to remove
>the zinc plating with something like muriotic acid to prevent oxidation
>of the zinc in high heat. Apparently it produces dangerously toxic >fumes?

OOo, you are very right!  Galanized stuff is very bad and you can't (as far
as I know) remove the galanization (I can ask my teacher if you all want me
to...he's the guildmaster of the Caidain metalworkers guild).  The fumes
cause "the shakes" (goes straight for your nervous system) and supposedly if
you drink milk, this will eventually go away.

I know this because said teacher had this happen to him.  Of course, a tank
ran over him too, but that's beside the point (to hear Robi's stories of
horror makes you wonder if people really DO have gaurdian angels around
them). :)

I'm trying to think if you can get trashcans (the smaller ones that are
maybe 2 feet tall) that aren't galvinized at hardware stores. Maybe those
would work just as well without the fumes?  Hmmm...not sure.

--Arte the metal-maiden