[Sca-cooks] Sugar (Was:Seeking Improvement)

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Mon Dec 31 14:37:44 PST 2001

In a message dated 12/31/2001 1:13:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
wpmay at hotmail.com writes:

>  According to the More skilled and vastily superior Laurel
>      person the only sugar available to the noble households
>     of the 12-14th century were Date and Beet Sugars

My few sources indicated that beet sugars originated from the late eighteenth
and early nineteenth centuries. I can't speak on date sugar, but I know that
sugar cane was mentioned in travelers tales almost from Roman times, and that
the stuff the Medieval Europeans were using was indeed probably cane sugar.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Corwyn

"Without censorship, things can get terribly confused in the public mind." --
General William Westmoreland