[Sca-cooks] ISP wars

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Sat Dec 1 10:01:29 PST 2001

At 09:53 AM 12/01/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Y'know, sometimes it just doesn't pay to get out of bed.  Here we are,
>recovering from a massive computer system crash, trying to run a kingdom
>level event, start a new business, cope with a death in the family and just
>generally deal with daily life on top of all that and our most used form of
>communication, e-mail, is probably about to be cut off because Excite at home
>couldn't figure out how to properly run a business.  It looks like the
>courts are not going to grant an injunction to stop Excite from shutting
>down service.  Cox Communications tells us not to worry but to be prepared.

Well, Excite has shut down services.  I received NO warning whatsoever,
went to bed, things worked fine, woke up, and couldn't get service.  Called
tech support, and only got a message about receivership (which I had no
idea was going on...).  Message said that service should be re-established
within the next 7 days and they'll call me when they are ready, with
instructions...

I am lucky enough that only used ATT at home for access to the web, and that
my mail servers are located elsewhere, so it doesn't affect my email.  But
it does mean that I cannot get on the web from home, until further
notice.  I am presently at the office, which grates me.

Those who know me will know it will be tough to survive without the 'net at
home.  And I had a 75MB download to do too!!!

Sh*tf*ck.

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Kingdom of the Middle