[Sca-cooks] EK 12th Night Menu

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Dec 4 03:57:33 PST 2001

UlfR wrote:

> Question: as far as I can remember the names of dishes you are using
> several different sources, what is the theme that you are using for the
> menu? A time and place, and existing menu recreated, or something else?

Well, it sort of evolved. I started out doing early fourteenth century
English, via a combination of MS He (BL Add 46919) and BL Add 32085. In
other words, the earliest known practical recipe collection in English,
and the Anglo-Norman French source it appears to be a partial copy of.
Added to that are a couple of fifteenth century recipes, simple dishes
that are probably older than the sources in which they appear, and which
may appear in older sources anyway, but which, for some reason, I felt
were more fun than their antecedents. Finally, there are one or two
out-and-out French recipes, also early fourteenth century, from
Taillevent, or rather, from the Viandier, which appears to predate the
birth of Taillevent.

So, I suppose I'd have to say while it started out with a pretty
specific theme of Edward I England (a little private joke about current
life and times in the East), it became somewhat more generic medieval.

I was originally going to do Teste de Turt, essentially a meat or fish
pie in the shape of a Turk's head, instead of Tourtes Parmerienne, and
while I could imagine TdT being enormously popular just now, what with
one thing and another in the daily news reports, it's not really a
sentiment I'd like to encourage. Not for 12th Night, anyway.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com