[Sca-cooks] Cooking rice in feast quantities

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 4 08:56:52 PST 2001

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> I've been thinking about trying to get Ostgardr to invest in one of these; they seem to pump far more btu's into a pot than your typical industrial stove.
>
> Adamantius

Our baron has one as well, I may have to get my own very soon, since covetousness is a blight upon the soul.  As one sage has intoned:  More Power!

I do not think I would try Arborio rice in quantity without a lot of practice.  The stirring and the texture is too sensitive.  =Maybe= in a rice cooker,
which keeps better track of water absorption than I can without lifting the lid.

Someone mentioned Paella.  I think we had a discussion about Paella and its origins around a year ago and decided that although its roots lay in Spanish olla
and Persian pilau dishes in period, the version by this name was an invention of 18th-19th Century farm workers.  I don't seem to have those messages anymore.

Selene, Caid