[Sca-cooks] EK 12th Night Menu

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Dec 4 09:09:12 PST 2001

Diana Haven wrote:

> Adamantius,
>
> Why did you have ta post this *after* I moved away
> from NY?  I'm almost considering flying east just for
> 12th night now!

Well, it's like this. I was going to post some kind of flippant response, but I realize that the simple truth is actually probably more entertaining. Here's the situation:

I have a relatively large budget. Not the largest budget I've ever seen,
  but large enough to do pretty much what I wanted. Larger than many,
but not so large that we reach the point where adding money doesn't
necessarily equate with a better feast. I'm a believer in the law of
Diminishing Marginal Returns when it comes to feasts. So, when Puck and
I discussed my budget, we discussed what it would take to produce a more
or less a**-kicking feast, something people would remember, without
having to find silly ways to spend money, lighting candles with
hundred-dollar bills, etc. This is taking into account the fact that
both New York City _and_ Newport, RI, where this is taking place, are
relatively expensive places to live and buy food. In short, I'm getting
$15 a head to spend.

News of this has set off a bit of an outcry around the kingdom (and I
can see people's point when they say they can get a perfectly good
dinner at Applebee's for ten bucks). All I can say, over and over and
over again, until I start to froth at the mouth and fall over backwards,
is that you could not possibly buy this meal at a restaurant for
anywhere _near_ $15.

This got people, including some alleged food-service pros, off on some
tangential reasoning whereby, since your typical restaurant usually has
about a 30% food cost, in order to be worth the exorbitant price, the
feast would have to be acknowledged to be worth $50. But wait, says one
of the foodservice pros, some restaurants get away with a 15% food cost,
so in order to be worth the money, your feast will have to be worth
$100. The implication seems to be that if I merely double, or even
triple, the value of the food ingredients through prep, cooking, and
service, that I will have performed an active disservice to my kingdom
akin to embezzlement.

Anyway, while I think this all is pretty nonsensical, I've been fine-tuning the menu a bit, so I haven't posted it anywhere until yesterday. And if it isn't worth $15, I'd like to be told that.

Adamantius, looking for a nice easy job like being seneschal someplace
(No, Andrea, don't even _think_ it.)
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com