misconceptions about places was [Sca-cooks] Stefan

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Wed Dec 5 16:40:46 PST 2001

In a message dated 12/5/2001 9:35:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
rnewmyer at epix.net writes:

> Food content: Took my first deer this Monday. I'd love to see some good
> venison recipes.

Hey, congratulations, Grif!  Good venison recipe?  Roo broth!  Pot-licking
good.  (Certified; the first time I made it for Tirza bithe Reaboghes she
stuck her head in the pot to get the last drops.)

ROO BROTH
from Forme of Curye, 14th century
as redacted in Pleyn Delit

Take the lire of the Deer other of the Roo; parboil it on smale peces.
Seethe it well, half in water and half in wyne.  Take brede and bray it with
the self broth and drawe blode ther-to, and lat it seeth to-gedre with powdor
fort of gynger other of cannell and macys, with a grete porcion of vinegar
with Raysons of Corante.

ca 1 lb venison, cooked or parboiled, cut into small pieces.
ca 1 1/2 cups each water, red wine
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (use whole wheat or rye, the darker the better)
1/4 tsp each ginger, cinnamon, mace
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup vinegar (preferably red wine vinegar)
1/4 cup currants
1 tsp Marmite or other yeast-based gravy seasoning, (in lieu of blood)

Cover the chopped venison with wine and water; simmer for about an hour.
Steep the
breadcrumbs in some of the broth (and the Marmite or other colouring), and
stir into the pot, along with currants and seasonings.  Simmer for about five
minutes more, stirring occasionally, before serving.

Brangwayna Morgan