[Sca-cooks] AoAs

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Wed Dec 5 21:02:30 PST 2001

>Why would I want two sets of arms? Why would I want one set of arms? What
>on earth would I do with arms? I'm not likely to have  a noble persona.
You wouldn't have "two sets" of arms. One "arms" is an AoA, an award, a shiny
dubis, something that is given you by royalty for having done something
good. The other "arms" is a coat of arms, a device, a pretty picture, something
that you design, which design you get to put on boxes, on capes, on mugs,
on tents, on chairs, on rugs and children and other valuable possessions.
Sort of. It's one word that has two separate meanings attached.

>And I'm further confused by the idea (I may be wrong) that people call me
>lady now, but I wouldn't be entitled (literally) to be called Mistress
>unless I became a peer, in spite of the fact that I am likely to have a
>persona who would be called Mistress Anne Somebody. But I can't be, because
>I haven't earned it. But the burgher's wife wouldn't be lady...
The SCA's rules concerning titles is not only not always consistent, but
also not always historic. Our Knighthood, one of the highest positions one
can attain in the SCA, for example, would have been at the low end of the
social scale of nobility. We think it's spiff; back then a knight could have been
one guy with some armor and a horse, and otherwise dirt poor.

>Thank you all for your patience!
Thank you for your energy and enthusiasm. Us old fogies occasionally
need someone around who's fresh, and keen, and eager, to help remind us
of what we were like when we were half our age.

(Anyone have a Maudlin Eradicator around?)

Alban