[Sca-cooks] Tricky question about relatives - sort OT, definitely OOP

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Wed Dec 5 22:17:18 PST 2001

Hmmm....I don't know.  My mom was a competent cook, but producing food
was more of a chore for her than "fun."  Dad was the one who liked
kitchen gadgets. I developed into an okay competent cook myself [did all
of the canning and freezing as a teenager], but nothing spectacular.  My
pie crust is okay, but nothing to write home about.  Now, if you're
talking _other_ talents, it's easier to see the generational skip.  My
maternal grandfather was a weaver and a woodworker for relaxation,
taught college physics, and worked as an efficiency expert.  My mom
_hated_ sewing, let alone anything remotely more process than goal
oriented....and here I am, good at math (which mom stank at), obsessed
with working small things with my hands [I specialize in multi-year
blackwork projects], and making a living doing quality control and data
conversions for a software company.....
--Maire, who aspires to someday be a really good cook, although
adequate's fine for now....<g>