[Sca-cooks] Re: Having Arms - OT

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 6 08:24:45 PST 2001

Devra at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/5/01 9:14:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> sca-cooks-request at ansteorra.org writes:
>
> > In the East, you'll sometimes get a scroll with
> >  a blank spot for your arms to be included, if it hasn't passed or the
> >  scribe doesn't know what it is.
>
> This is indeed true.  When I was awarded my AoA at Mud Thaw, both the scrolls
> I received had lovely little blank spots on them, since I haven't yet applied
> for arms.  By the way, she said plaintively, where can I get info on applying
> for arms?  And who would I ask to fill in the empty spots?
> Devra the gently bewildered, looking forward to seeing you all at 12th Night
>
> Devra Langsam
> www.poisonpenpress.com
> devra at aol.com

HOW long have you been around and they're only getting around to your AoA now?
OK, maybe I've seen your name around longer than most SCA people since I'm
another old Trek Fan [first con, Equicon '74], but Sheesh, Geez Louize and other
disbelieving interjections.  Well anyway.

I see your name passed in July 1996, according to the SCA Armorial which I happen
to keep on my computer at work here.  Consult your local herald for the
appropriate paperwork for your kingdom, as Master A has mentioned.  I would be
happy to help out with the design work, it's a bit of a specialty of mine as
former Kingdom Consulting Herald here.

On-topic content!  Various kitchen implements are valid heraldic charges.  One I
would think of with your name might be a Baker's Peel, the paddle with which one
places and removes loafs from the oven.  The late Goldwyn of Britain had a badge
of a a rampant horse Or carrying a peel with ermine spots.  He was a big Avengers
fan, so he had to have a Jaune Steed with an Ermine Peel.  <insert groan here>
So for you, how about a baker's peel charged with a bee, for Devra?  It couldn't
be anyone else's!  Just a thought.

Selene

Dame Selene Colfox
OP, OLC, OHA, ODC, SR etc.