[Sca-cooks] Chocolate truffles (OOP)

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Thu Dec 6 08:31:29 PST 2001

>Anybody have truffle recipes to share, since I'm on this kick?  :)  I'm
>also going to try hazelnut and coffee flavored ones.  I've only made
>plain ones in the past.

I always do my truffles as a straight ganache.
1 part chocolate
1 part heavy/whipping cream (35%)
0.1 part butter

I prefer to use a really good extremely high cocoa content chocolate (60 or
70% is best, if you can find it.  Valrhonna is my favoured chocolate to use).

Cut the chocolate in small pieces.  Boil the cream, take off the heat, put
chocolate in, stir.  Add the soft/melted butter.  Stir until cool.  Shape
after it has settled a bit, but dont' wait till it's completely cold.  Roll
in cocoa powder.  Voila.

Variations could be to add a little cognac/brandy/rhum to your cream, in
which case you'd increase the butter a little bit (to re-establish the
texture loss from more liquid)

Sorry, I don't know proportions to add habanero to it.  Why don't you ask
the restaurant?  I know when I was in the kitchens, I never hesitated to
share with people.

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Kingdom of the Middle