[Sca-cooks] Chocolate truffles (OOP)

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Thu Dec 6 16:12:52 PST 2001

>Okay, time for a "Stefan" type question(s).

And about time too! :-)

>These sound like they are a type of chocolate candy. What makes these
>a truffle and not some other kind of chocolate candy? The specific
>ingredients used? The shape?

The shape and size of them.

>And I thought "truffles" were the mushroom things found on tree roots,
>often hunted for with pigs. Am I wrong and those are called something
>else? Is the chocolate one derived from the mushroom one?

You are corect, truffles are a type of mushroom (well, not quite, but good
enough for our purposes).  They are round, have an uneven surface, and most
of them are a dark, dark brown, or black.  Some of them are also white,
though not quite as usual.  They grow most usually within oaks'
roots.  They are hunted by pigs, though that's mostly lore, and nowadays
all kind of animals are used.  They cannot be cultivated, hence their high
prices.

Chocolate truffles do not contain truffles.  They are named so because of
their shape and size.

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Middle Kingdom