[Sca-cooks] Coloring bread...

Linda Peterson mirhaxa at morktorn.com
Fri Dec 7 13:23:52 PST 2001

> On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Mercy Neumark wrote:
>
> > I thought it would be a cute idea (evile plans of mice and arte, it seems)
> > if when I make my bread for Yule, that I color it possibly green/red/blue or
> > any combination there of.  Spoke to someone who told me not to use food
> > coloring for said project because the coloring would probably turn lighter
> > (like olive green instead of the bright green I was hoping for).

The problem is that you have to take into account the aggregate effect of
the golden browning of the cooked bread added to the coloring. (Done sugar
cookies don't change color). So even though the outside of the bread will
be a darker duller color, the inside of the bread should stay a nice
bright color. Whether the color works for you depends on whether it's the
inside or the crust that's most visibly important to your presentation.

Mirhaxa

  mirhaxa at morktorn.com