[Sca-cooks] Cabbage Rolls

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Dec 7 16:16:36 PST 2001

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001 upsxdls_osu at ionet.net wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Dec 2001 09:37:54 -0600 (CST) you wrote:
> > My *family* doesn't mind cabbage, and is in fact rather partial to both
> > sweet/sour red cabbage, and a Russian cabbage soup, >
> > Margaret
>
> Could I have the recipe for the Russian cabbage soup?  Does it have a period
> source?
>
> Liadan

Ok, here's the soup recipe. The Russian translation is apparently S'chee,
at least according to the cookbook.

Shredded-Cabbage Soup

2 med onions, thinly sliced
3 T bacon fat, margarine, or butter
2 10.5 oz cans condensed beef broth
2 soup cans water
5 cups coarsely shredded cabbage
2 carrots, sliced
2 med potatoes, cubed
1 stalk celery, with leaves, sliced
2 tomatoes, chopped (I think Mom uses a can of chopped)
1 tsp salt
pepper to taste

sour cream and dill for garnish

Saute onions in fat until tender. Add the beef broth, water, cabbage,
carrots, potatoes, and celery. Bring to boiling, cover and simmer until
vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes, salt, and pepper, simmer uncovered
about 10 minutes. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream topped with a sprig
of dill.