[Sca-cooks] tiger balm and another ointment recipe

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Dec 10 03:44:29 PST 2001

LadyAngustias at aol.com wrote:

> --
> In a message dated 12/9/2001 11:23:23 AM Alaskan Standard Time,
> iasmin at home.com writes:
>

>>A while back, I mentioned that I had a formulation of my own devising
>>for recreating balms like Tiger Balm and White Flower Analgesic Balm.
>>

>      While I am familiar with Tiger Balm I have not heard of White Flower.
> What type of ointment is this used for?  Thanks in advance.

White Flower Oil (in Cantonese it is bok fai yau [yow, not yaw], which
may be helpful in buying the stuff) is a clear, non-viscous oil (we just
replenished our supply this weekend) which can reduce swelling and
muscle inflammation, as well as some other rather unusual things: you
can put some on your temples, or the back of your neck, if you have a
headache. My lady wife, who smokes and is subject to various gum
ailments, has been known to rub the stuff on the outside of her jaw to
reduce swelling and toothaches (temporarily, of course). It also is
mentholated or camphorated or something: it is stinky, in other words,
and a little on your upper lip can help (some of this is, I suspect,
illusory, but it doesn't stop me from doing it) open the breathing
passages if you have a cold or some such.

In general, it does everything that Tiger Balm does, but I would say it
is somewhat faster-acting, and doesn't have quite as lasting an effect.
It also doubles for Vick's Vapo-Rub ;-). I'm not sure if it has had the
widespread marketing that Tiger Balm has had, so I don't know if you can
just get it in the drugstore or the supermarket; you may have to get it
  at the medicinal counter in a good Asian market. Which also has a lot
of other cool stuff.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy