[Sca-cooks] Master A's Feast; my 2 cents

Mercy Neumark mneumark at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 11 07:24:26 PST 2001

With all this talk about what is "too expensive" I thought I would share as
well (even though was Puck said was dead on, I have a few other things to
add).

As Seneschal I USED TO (note the past tense) TRY to make everyone happy.  It
has taken me about a year to figure out that when people whine at me,
sometimes I need to shrugg it off (if there is nothing I can really do about
it).  Because no matter what I would do to try to appease X person, Y would
have something else to say about it and in the end, I would be the one with
the massive headache and mess to clean up.  And of course, there are people
who just HAVE to complain about something, so who am I to be the killjoy,
right? ;)

As a merchant people would come up and tell me that $15 was too much money
for a period drinking stien (something that may take me 3 hours to make from
start to finish) because, well...Goodwill sells em' for $2.  Of course,
sometimes you can get a deal, but are they period?  Are they even handmade?
Is the quality even remotely close to my work?  Oh, FYI, these same
"expensive stiens" were selling for $25-50 in galleries I was showing in
(and there wasn't ONE person there complaining about the prices there).
These SAME people, however, will spend HUNDREDS of dollars on armor, beer
and cigarettes. ::shrugg::

It's all a matter of what your priorities are.  Some people will enjoy a $3
feast at Mcdonalds, while others are more than willing to spend $20 for a
fantastic dinner.  Me, I wish _I_ could go to your wonderful sounding 12th
night...of course, for me, it would be a $1000 dinner (including air travel
and hotel accomidations, a well as buying REAL winter clothes), and right
now, $1000 is just a TAD out of my price range. :)

--Artemesia