[Sca-cooks] [Fwd: Salamander - History?]

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Dec 11 19:57:36 PST 2001

Salamander is a generic term for any item that is placed in a fire and can
withstand the heat.  This includes various kinds of heating irons and
pokers.  The earliest written usage is 17th Century and it pre-dates the
usage of Salamander as a browning tool.  A branding iron could be considered
a salamander.

Bear