[Sca-cooks] period traditions

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Dec 12 13:43:08 PST 2001

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> I think we are talking apples and oranges here.  I was
> talking about the physical act and you are talking
> about the written law.

I suspect that is part of the problem. Much as I expect the physical act
to have been a bit more prevalent than some historians would have us
believe, when you use expressions like Prima Nocta and Droit de
Seigneur, they pretty much beg a legal status definition. If, on the
other hand, you're just talking about the local lord making off with the
bride on her wedding night, that's a little different.

It's kind of like the lack of evidence that there's a whole lot of libel
and slander going on, if you look at the number of successfully
prosecuted cases on the books, but there are still plenty of people
spreading nasty and damaging rumors around.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com