[Sca-cooks] Re: rice pudding & marrow

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Dec 12 23:58:27 PST 2001

Drakey asked:
> >Markham has about ten assorted sausage and pud recipes, overall,
> >including a link sausage recipe which makes it pretty clear that
> farmes
> >are cleaned intestines used as casings.
>
> Ah ok, cheers.  I'm at work and don't have Markham to hand (on;y
> apicius and the domostroi, don't ask...).  That sounds like a great
> and cheap recipe for a feast if I can get the intestine.  What would
> you recommend to get the goo into the casings?  Not being a sausage
> nut...

We've made sausages for a number of our recent events. For our recent
Yule Revel they used two of the big mixers with sausage grinding and
then sausage stuffing accessories. I recently bought a cheapie plastic
sausage grinder stuffer so I could perhaps try to make some period
sausages. It won't hold up to much work and will probably be slower
than those big mixers, but it was much cheaper.

You might find these files in the Florilegium useful:
sausages-msg     (104K) 10/31/00    Period sausages. Making sausage.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/sausages-msg.html
sausage-makng-msg (28K) 10/31/00    Sausage making techniques. Supplies.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/sausage-makng-msg.html

Getting the stuff into the links and how to twist them is covered in
the second file.
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net