[Sca-cooks] Re: rice pudding & marrow

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Dec 14 07:59:01 PST 2001

Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:

> --
> Would a medieval / Renaissance white pudding have half a cup of sugar? and I
> am confused about the suasage bit in this recipe.  Where would that tie in?
> Phillipa

Basically, the original recipe says to soak the rice in milk overnight (I'm working from memory, so bear with me), drain it, cook it in cream until mostly done, add eggs, I STR some dried fruit being added, but I could be wrong, and some grated suet. Oh, and sugar and probably other flavorings, spices, etc. Then you put your mixture into the farmes, a term which Markham uses several times in a string of recipes, all for sausages, including ordinary pork sausages. Kenelm Digby, writing, oh, maybe 50 years after Markham was published, and Hugh Plat, roughly contemporary to Markham, use the term too. "Tharmes" appears in one of these sources, I forget which one, as a variant. In each case they appear to be a reference to cleaned gut used for sausage casings. Some of the recipes talk of how long to cut your farmes, how to stuff them and tie them off, etc. It becomes far more clear if you look at the whole string of recipes in the original source, instead of just the one used for
"To The Queen's Taste". Since the recipe says, "as was shown previously", or words to that effect, it helps to know what was shown previously. ;-)

Adamantius, Context King
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com