[Sca-cooks] Re: rice pudding & marrow

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Fri Dec 14 10:14:41 PST 2001

Adamantius, Context King said:
> Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:
> > Would a medieval / Renaissance white pudding have half a cup of sugar? and I
> > am confused about the suasage bit in this recipe.  Where would that tie in?
> > Phillipa
>
> Basically, the original recipe says to soak the rice in milk overnight (I'm working from memory, so bear with me), drain it, cook it in cream until mostly done, add eggs, I STR some dried fruit being added, but I could be wrong, and some grated suet. Oh, and sugar and probably other flavorings, spices, etc.

But then Adamantius, went off on the tangent about the farmes/frames
thing:

>Then you put your mixture into the farmes, a term which Markham uses several times in a string of recipes, all for sausages, including ordinary pork sausages. Kenelm Digby, writing, oh, maybe 50 years after Markham was published, and Hugh Plat, roughly contemporary to Markham, use the term too. "Tharmes" appears in one of these sources, I forget which one, as a variant. In each case they appear to be a reference to cleaned gut used for sausage casings. Some of the recipes talk of how long to cut your farmes, how to stuff them and tie them off, etc. It becomes far more clear if you look at the whole string of recipes in the original source, instead of just the one used for
> "To The Queen's Taste". Since the recipe says, "as was shown previously", or words to that effect, it helps to know what was shown previously. ;-)

Thanks for the summary of this, Adamantius. But I'm not sure what this
has to do with the original question, about whether the use of half a
cup of sugar is the correct redaction of this recipe. I don't
remember the amount of rice used, but this sounds like it might be more
sugar than the original recipe writer was thinking of.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net