[Sca-cooks] Re: rice pudding & marrow

Fri Dec 14 14:37:14 PST 2001

During the Elizabethan period, much of England's sugar came out of Egypt and
the Levant where the price was dropping for the trade into Europe due to
Spanish and Portuguese imports from the Canaries, Azores, and West Africa.
The Caribbean trade was just beginning.  Elizabethan cooking is noted for
using sugar extensively.

In my adaptation of Markham's recipe, I used 1/2 cup sugar to 1 cup of
uncooked rice (which weighed in at 8 ounces, 1/2 pound under Elizabethan
measure).  I think the 1/2 cup is a good bet.

Rather than soak the rice overnight in milk, I partially cooked it in the
milk to accelerate the process, drained it and finished the cooking in
cream.

Bear