[Sca-cooks] Airing cupboard

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Dec 14 17:08:53 PST 2001

Laura C. Minnick wrote:

>>When she finally escaped, she calmly grabbed the vaccuum cleaner to
>>clean up the flour, except she'd discovered I'd cut a hole in the bag
>>with a pair of scissors... Flour dust settling over the freshly washed
>>Venetian Blinds! Later that week my father discovered that I'd put holes
>>in all 90-odd of his oil paints with a modelling knife.  I was almost
>>sold into slavery that week.
>>
>>BadBadBadDrakey (Aussie and ex POM (prisoner of motherland...))
>>

> But you got better, right? My Sweetie-Snuggle-Pie James was like that too,
> according to the family. If he'd been the first, he'd have been the
> ONLY! But he was #4 and wore his mother out. I'm told that the only
> reason he survived was that he was an exceptionately cute kid (I've seen
> pictures- he really was). He is a semi-respectable adult now (though he's
> a herald...) and only sometimes indulges in sneakiness and such. Lucky
> thing though- I can't have any more children, so we aren't going to repeat
> the process. The Western World could not survive a James Jr...

I'm sure. On the other hand, it has been alleged by fosterers of Jealousy In High Places and other parent and sibling types that my early behavior was somewhat below par. Foul slander, of course, but I should mention that I _have_ reproduced. And, of course, my son is an Angel Who Would Never Do A Thing Like That. Like what, you ask? Like That, I say.

Okay, so yesterday I pick him up at school and I discover that, for the first time in over a year, he has been involved in a (ahem) physical confrontation of an unfriendly nature. Kind of an Old West sort of thing, a card game going awry, accusations of cheating and (gasp!) Sore Loserhood! So, apparently the other kid, who is bigger than Brennan (most ten-year-olds are), got out his can-opener for a big ole can of whup-a**, and B grabs his wrist and uses a kotegaishi lock, throwing the kid onto his back, knocking the wind out of him and generally putting him in the mood to think of other things, while not actually ripping the arm from the other boy's socket. Is my son afraid of getting into trouble in school? Is he concerned about complaints from the other child's parents? No, he's in nearly hysterical tears because Yamada sensei (or Heaven forfend, his own parents) might find out he used aikido on another, helpless child, who just happened to have been twice his size and the
 initiator of violence.

Not his worst moment by any means, but he has had plenty, too. But I
forgive him a lot for the time he projectile-defecated on my
mother-in-law, smiling angelically all the while. Yes, this was quite a
while ago.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy