[Sca-cooks] apartments

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Fri Dec 14 23:11:22 PST 2001

>> I grew up in Manhattan. I lived in an apartment, as did all my friends, as
>> did all my neighbors, as did all my classmates... They might be on the
>> Lower East Side (projects and tenemants) or the Upper East Side (Park
>> Avenue), but they were all apartments.
>
>All of these folks rented?
>
>I think I remember reading some of Adamantius' mail where he implied
>you could actually buy apartments up there.
>
>Around here, an apartment is a multiple housing unit place that you
>rent. A condo is the multiple housing unit place that you actually
>buy. A house, with seperate enclosing yard, is what most folks live
>in. Whether they rent it or buy it.

If I remember the Manhattan real estate market correctly, there are
regular apartments you rent, there are regular houses you can either
rent or buy, and there are condos (ditto) and co-ops (memory is
fuzzy: sort of buyable but there's also a regular building- and common-
area-maintenance payment, so it's sort of renting as well). But co-ops
are rare.
Most other places, near as I can tell, have houses and condos, rentable
and ownable, and apartments, rentable, none of this co-op stuff.

Alban, house owner and glad of it