[Sca-cooks] Flats

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 15 12:14:56 PST 2001

From: "Mark.S Harris" <mark.s.harris at motorola.com>
>  Lucrezia said:
>>  My flatmate Ozbeg used to make this in our airing cupboard every now and
>>  then. It did indeed taste something like that and to my mind was TOTALLY
>>  disgusting - he liked it though (but what can you expect from Mongols?). The
>>  airing cupboard had this ever-so-wonderful sour milk smell for days
>>  afterwards however.
>
>Uh oh. More Britishisms. :-)
>
>What's an "airing cupboard"?

Sent info on a local version already...

>And I assume there's not just an extra 'L' in "flatmate". So why are
>they called "flats"? This is what Americans call "apartments", right?
>So, are they generally just one story? ie: as opposed to multi-floored,
>or perhaps "stacked"?

Well, here in San Francisco and the Bay Area, we call certain types
of apartments "flats", if they're rental units in Victorian
buildings. If it's a modern building, we usually just call them
apartments, unless they've been converted into condos. So i guess
"flat" suggests age and style, where by "style" i mean architectural
style, not anything to do with price, since many Victorians in The
City are kinda run down...

Anahita