[Sca-cooks] looking for za'atar

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 16 19:46:25 PST 2001

From: johnna holloway <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu>
>It's at: http://www.israeliwishes.com/IsraeliWishes/Kosher_Spices.html
>
>Za'atar - =E6=F2=FA=F8
>  Zaatar is one of Israel's famous spice.
>  One bag - 50g.
>Mix it with some Olive Oil and dip bread in it...
>  and you have the treat of a life time... or
>mix it with Olive Oil, and Garbanzo beans
>  (Humous) and you have a snack like no
>  other.
>Zahatar Seasoning (Hyssop)

Actually i think i'd rather mix it with hummos (which just means
"chick peas" - hummos bi tahineh is mashed chick peas with sesame
paste). I don't really want my soil tasting like herbs and spices :-)

Since i actually have a package of Israeli Zaatar, i suspect that
this particular culinary treat is what is sometimes called "Green
Zaatar", that is, a mix of zaatar herb, sesame seeds, and salt - at
least those are the ingredients in my package of Israeli Zaatar...

In the San Francisco Bay Area, where Mistress Kay does dwell, it is
quite easy to find both Green and Red Zaatar Blends - really easy.

But we're still no closer to actually locating a package of pure
zaatar herb, whatever it may be, whether some form of hyssop, of
marjoram, of thyme, of mint, of...

Anahita