[Sca-cooks] Latkes was Probably OOP but just wondering.

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Dec 18 07:11:32 PST 2001

Ted Eisenstein wrote:

>>Of course, latkes made from matzoh meal and no potatoes aren't half
>>bad, either, and could have been made in period by Jews living
>>anywhere. Of course, that in itself is not proof that they did.
>>

> Uninformed question: wouldn't latkes made out of matzoh meal be
> more like your typical, ummm, fried bread/griddle cake/bannock-type
> thang, rather than something like a latke/hash-browns-type thang?

My own limited experience, such as it has been, has been that matzoh latkes have a different texture from the bread-like entities you mention. A bit like matzoh-brei, to which it is chemically identical, I believe, if structurally different, or perhaps like a half-inch-thick, flat, deep-fried matzoh-ball, just a bit fluffy in the middle. I think perhaps you're thinking of latkes as something made almost entirely of potato, held together with a bit of naturally occurring potato starch. My own experience, Gentile that I am, has been pretty consistently otherwise: generally the latkes I've had, be they spud or thud, have been fritter-like, with the exception of some of the German-type potato pancakes I've had.

Adamantius

--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com