[Sca-cooks] Re: rice pudding & marrow

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Thu Dec 13 10:25:47 PST 2001

In lists.sca.sca-cooks, you wrote:

>>So, do you think Lorna Sass has missed the fact that these are
>supposed
>>to be white-pudding-type sausages, or just figured it would be easier
>>handle this way? For whatever reason, she seems to have shifted the
>>ingredients and method away from a white-pudding recipe toward a more
>>standard dessert-type rice pudding recipe. Which is not to say it
>>wouldn't be good that way... .
>
>What leads you to believe it is a sausage recipe, the only thing that
>intimates that in the recipe is this line: "and so put it into the
>frams, and boyl them as well before shewed, and serve them after a day
>old".  I would assume that "frams" would be translated as frame so I'm
>assuming a ramekin, placing the rice/spice/cream/suet goo in the
>ramekin and boiling it until it sets.

Oh.  I just went and looked at the recipes and realised that I'd gotten
all confused.  This isn't the recipe I was thinking of.  The one I was
thinking of is explicit about putting it in a dish:

A white-pot

Take the best and sweetest Cream and boyl it with good store of Sugar and
Cinnamon, & a little Rose water, then take it from the fire, and put it into
clean pick'd Rice , but not so much as to make it thick, and let it steep
therein till it be cold, then put in the yelks of six Eggs, and two Whites,
Currants, Cinnamon Sugar, and Rose-water, and Salt, then put it into a pan
or pot as thin as it were a Custard, and so bake it, and serve it in the
pot it is baked in, triming the top with Sugar or Comfeits.

Mmmm, baked custardy ricey curranty goodness.

Yours,

Katherine

--
Lady Katherine Robillard  (mka Kirrily "Skud" Robert)
katherine at infotrope.net  http://infotrope.net/sca/