[Sca-cooks] Re: rice pudding & marrow

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Thu Dec 13 10:21:00 PST 2001

In lists.sca.sca-cooks, you wrote:
>Opps - it was grated beef suet they called for--sorry.  But here's the recipe
>anyway.
>    From To The Queen's Taste
>
>        Rice Pudding
>Take halfe a pound of Rice, and steep it in new Milk a whole night, and in
>the morning drain it, and let the milk drop away, and take a quart of the
>best, sweetest, and thickest Cream, and put the Rice into it, and boyl it a
>little.  Then set it to cool an hour or two, and after put in the yolkes of
>half a dozen Eggs, a little Pepper, Cloves, mace, Currants, Dates, Sugar, and
>Salt, and having mixt them well together, put in great store of Beef suet
>well beaten, and small shred, and so put it into the frams, and boyl them as
>well before shewed, and serve them after a day old.
>        Gervase Markham, The English Hous-wife

The English Housewife is webbed at http://infotrope.net/sca/cooking/ if
anyone wants any more from this source.  Lots of good recipes, though
slightly out of period (1615).  However, the just-pre-1600 cookbooks
I've been working with lately don't read much differently, and I don't
think an awful lot changed in those 20 years.  I'm intending to make the
abovementioned rice pudding for an upcoming dinner party and/or potluck.

K.

--
Lady Katherine Robillard  (mka Kirrily "Skud" Robert)
katherine at infotrope.net  http://infotrope.net/sca/