Stollen recipe (was Re: [Sca-cooks] German cookbooks)

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Dec 21 05:53:30 PST 2001

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Terry Decker wrote:

> Woof!  7 to 8 teaspoons of yeast.  A tablespoon is usually more than enough.
> As a guess, about 8 cups of flour.  Super enriched doughs soak up flour.

The original recipe that I started with said 3 1/2 packets of yeast. This
could have been a mistake perpetrated by the recipe software that I
suspect it was recorded in--in any case, it didn't seem to adversely
affect the taste at all. I've been way overtired this week, so rational
thought on the proper amount of yeast took too much energy. ;-)

The original recipe called for the same amount of liquid, and only 1/2 cup
butter. And something like 14 cups of flour. 3 for the sponge, 1 to beat
in while adding the butter, and 10-11 after that. It could have probably
taken more than I used, but as mentioned my wrists hurt too much to
continue.

> Fairly standard for the rest.  BTW, I like to pack the goodies into three
> rolls of dough and make a braid.
>
> Bear

Braids are for challah. ;-) Seriously, two of these loaves are destined to
be shipped off to various relations who are going to be scandalized enough
that I *rolled* the dough into shape rather than just folding it. Mom is
very conservative about her stollen. ;-)

Margaret