[Sca-cooks] Researching....

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Mon Dec 24 11:09:45 PST 2001

     Arte asked:
> We in the SCA try to make sure that things are Period.  But how you do all
> research if cheesecake (my Laurel's example)is period?  <

   This last week (or so) Vincente listed 4 - 5 refrences for "cheese
tarts/pies" that  resemble what we know as "cheesecake."    I'd  re-copy
that post,  but am too lazy at present.  {actually should be off doing other
things!}

> Along this same vein, has anyone come up with a bibliography on what "must
have" books people should have if they want to create period stuff? <

    Look in Stefan's Flori-thingy under cookbooks, there are a good handful
of Bibliographies.  I like Mistress Jaelle's  Bibliograpy best.  She gives
each book a rating from fair to excellent to not-worth-buying.

> One of the reasons I am asking this is in order to create new recipes
using period techniques and ingrediants.  As part of the "creative" part, I
figure it is reasonable to come up with new recipes, or is this a no-no in
the SCA?<

    The creative part is taking a manuscript recipe & making it  -- how do
you interpet what is written?  Take Master A's recent  Redaction Challenge
for Tardpolene."  How are you gonna make this?  what kind of crust?  What
ratio of almonds to pears to dates & figs?  Heavier on the custard, or
heavier on the fruits & nuts?   You don't necessarily have to "invent" a
recipe to be creative.  There are oodles & oodles of recipes that haven't
been tried from the manuscripts we already have.  BTW those texts with
redactions, such as  _An Ordinance of Pottage_  aren't necessarily  *the*
correct redaction.  Some editors have taken  EXTREME artistic license to get
from the manuscript to the recipe they propose.

    Caointiarn  (who should be cleaning house)