[Sca-cooks] sponge cake and such

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 26 16:30:26 PST 2001

--- KazOShea at aol.com wrote:
> --
> I had mentioned that I had found a mention for a
> cream filled sponge in
> period writing. I did find a sponge cake recipe in
> Fettiplace's Receipt book.
> However I have been unable to locate about the cream
> filled part.

Spurling's Fettiplace is a very questionably period
cookbook.  Yes, it was probably started during period,
but Spurling mentions that there were later entries
added up to as late as the 18th century, according to
her preface. Because she doesn't say which entries
were recorded when, it makes this book, in my humble
opinion, a questionable source for period
documentation.  So we shouldn't use this book to say
that sponge cake is period.  I know that the variation
on chocolate mousse in it is definately post period.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.