[Sca-cooks] Biscotti

Thu Dec 27 06:37:21 PST 2001

Make some coffee, that's a good thing.  And while you're at it, here's the
basic biscotti recipe.

I change the anise seed and anisette to alter the flavor.  You know a little
cocoa powder, some chocolate liqueur and half to all the nuts replaced with
chocolate chips.  Or marschino cherries and Kirshwasser.  Little things like
that.

Bear

Biscotti

2 cups sugar
1 cup butter or margarine melted
1/4 cup anise seed
1/4 cup anisette
3 Tablespoons whiskey OR 2 Tablespoons vanilla and 2 Tablespoons water
6 eggs
5 1/2 cups flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
2 cups coarse chopped almonds or walnuts

Mix sugar, butter, anise seed, anisette and whiskey.
Beat in the eggs.
Mix the flour and baking powder together.  Stir into the sugar mixture.
Fold in the nuts.
Refrigerate 2-3 hours.
Take a greased baking sheet and form loaves 2 inches wide, 1/2 inch thick,
as long as the baking sheet.
Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes or until crust is a light brown.
Turn out on racks to cool.
Cut into 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch slices.
Place slices on a baking sheet cut side up.
Bake again at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until lightly toasted.