[Sca-cooks] meat "substitutes"

Barbara Nostrand nostrand at acm.org
Thu Dec 27 18:07:34 PST 2001

Noble Cousins!

Greetings from Solveig! You can have my portions of Brussels
sprouts and cauliflower. I didn't like them when I was
ten, I still don't like them, I wouldn't miss them, and I
don't have to eat them now.

As for meat substitutes. I eat garden burgers on occasion.
They're not bad, but they're not meat either. Vegetarian Indian
food can be quite yummy.

As for vegetarians who try to subsist on bean sprout salads.
I wonder how long they are able to survive on them. There
are vegetarian diets that people have lived on for  years,
but they are not usually quite so restricted.

Vegetarian diets can easily be deficient in either fat or
protein. Japanese Buddhist monasteries developed a cuisine
of fried food to rectify fat deficiencies.

As for calling them vegiburgers instead of "grilled texturized
vegetable protein sandwiches" GTVPS's for short, what is so
sacred about the word "hamburger" which seems little more than
a misappropriation of the name of German city.  Personally,
I ask for "fishburgers" on a regular basis and nobody bats
an eye at the description. All other names for fishburgers
such as "fishwiches" are generally trademarks of some fast
food outlet. Similarly, vegiburgers are listed as such lots
of places. What else should folks call them? GTVPS's? I don't
think that would even make it far in the military.

					Your Humble Servant
					Solveig Throndardottir
					Amateur Scholar

| Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D.         | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM       |
| deMoivre Institute              | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est      |
| mailto:nostrand at acm.org         | mailto:bnostran at lynx.neu.edu      |
| Ignored domains: bestbiz.net, pop.net, hotmail.com, aibusiness.com  |
|                  vdi.net, usa.net, tpnet.pl, myremarq.com           |
|                  netscape.net, excite.com, bigfoot.com, public.com  |
|                  com.tw, eranet.net, yahoo.com, success.net         |
|                  mailcity.com, net.tw, twac.com, netcenter.com      |
|		   techie.com, msn.com				      |