[Sca-cooks] Restricted diets

Diana Skaggs upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Fri Dec 28 03:59:34 PST 2001

I've watched Phlip needle the vegetarians. Personally, if I'm cooking for
someone,I want to know what their dietary restrictions are.  My son made
friends with a classmate and wanted him to spend the night. That's cool.
Until I found out he was vegan. What's that? Oh, they don't eat ANY animal
product, including honey.
I was raised in a home where you "eat what's set before you" and be
grateful. This was my first experience with a restricted diet. So, I called
his mom and asked what would be appropriate. And, while the young guy was
here, we all ate that way. Did we suffer? No. Did I get some new ideas? Yes.
Now, my first Pennsic. Margali is allergic to mushrooms. I love mushrooms,
especially in omelettes. But I survived without a single mushroom for an
entire week. Anya was gluten intolerant. I experimented with cornmeal
pasta. It wasn't quite the same, but was deemed an acceptable substitute.
My first feast last September, I took pains to include non-meat dishes so
ovo-lacto vegetarians would have plenty to eat. I have served sugarless,
saltless, low-fat, vegan, and vegetarian meals of all kinds.
When I go to someone else's house, I eat what's set before me. If it
doesn't meet my dietary necessities, I take my own food to snack on.
Because I'm diabetic, I carry sugar substitute along with my meds if I'm
spending time in a household without a diabetic.
I'm not sure how to say this in a politically correct way, but if I go to
dinner at a friend's house of a different ethnicity, I appreciate the fact
they made fried chicken in deference to my taste, but I'd rather try
"their" food. I do ask if dishes are spicy-hot, so I can take a taste
instead of a bite.
Phlip, quit needling the herbivores!
Liadan