[Sca-cooks] Wings! was meat substitute

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Fri Dec 28 17:51:11 PST 2001

Mmmmm....I like to joint mine, keeping the two bigger parts, and
throwing out the 3 (pointy) part (or saving it to make broth with).  I
heat up a bunch of oil in my wok, and fry the buggers till they're
done.  Oh, I move everything else off the stove and counter first, as
there's a serious splatter factor.
For the sauce, I use a homemade sweet-and-sour sauce, and I throw in as
much catsup as I need to turn it a good red, also varying hot sauces,
depending on what I've got at home: usually Louisiana hot sauce, that
"chili sauce for chicken" that I can get at one of our local Thai delis
(garlic, red chilies, vinegar, salt, sugar....oh, man...it's good <g>),
sometimes tabasco, or something similar.....  Also cayenne pepper, if I
feel like it.  Do it all "to taste," depending on the intended
recipients.  I tend to mix the cooked wings with enough of the sauce to
coat them pretty good, and put it all into a casserole dish or
something.  Easy enough to reheat that way.  Serve extra sauce on the
side.
--Maire (hungry now for it too, darn it....)