[Sca-cooks] eating from couches or lounges

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 29 13:48:32 PST 2001

--- Diana Skaggs <upsxdls_osu at ionet.net> wrote:

> But, Phlip, if you're eating while hanging from a
> trapeze (I assume you're
> hanging by your knees, in order for your hands to be
> free to feed your
> face) wouldn't you be defying gravity by swallowing
> up?  Swallowing up - my
> youngest sister's phrase for vomiting.
>
> Liadan

Ah, well actually, if you notice, most people who
regurgitate, usually do so groundwards, frequently
hanging over a toilet or a ship's rail (we hope ;-)

Swallowing is a series of muscular contractions
designed to move your nutritional bolus from your
mouth to the rest of your digestive system- your
body's orientation in regard to gravity is relatively
insignificant in healthy adults.

Apparently, though, even this sequence, normally
considered unconscious, can be consciously reversed,
with practice. I remember hearing of some yogi over in
India, some years ago, who had trained himself to
ingest soups through his rectum, and reputedly was
able to derive the appropriate nutrition from it, even
though he was running his digestive system in
reverse....

Phlip, who avoids enemas under any circumstances, even
chicken noodle ones....