[Sca-cooks] Procrastinating while the caffeine kicks in...

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Dec 30 07:28:26 PST 2001

>Um, no Stefan, which is kinda the point- Jolt in particular. It started
>as a gag on SNL and someone decided it would be cool for real- ALL the
>sugar and twice the caffeine! A real rush! But not in sugar-free. It
>wouldn't be the same.
>
>'Lainie

There is a little more behind it than that.  Coca Cola was losing market
share to Pepsi, so they changed the Coke formula to make it closer to Pepsi
in taste, then they lost more market share when their customers decided thet
the New Coke was swill.  Coca Cola brought out Coke Classic, which was
closer to the original formula, but they cut costs by changing the sugar to
corn syrup.  This left a niche that Jolt tried to fill.  Jolt (and RC Cola)
actually taste more like the original Coke that Coke Classic, but neither of
them had the capitalization to out market the two majors.  Jolt also had
some quality control problems with consistency of flavor between batches.

Jolt is some real programming fluid and it became the standard of
non-coffee-drinking code cutters (a touch of reality in Jurassic Park).
Because their marketing is tied up in the "all the sugar and twice the
caffeine" bit, I don't see them adding sugar-free to the line up, but they
could do that easier the caffeine free.

Bear