[Sca-cooks] green ginger upon sirop

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Dec 31 09:32:18 PST 2001

This is as Vicente noted in another posting---
not the dried ginger...
Karen Hess in her commentary and notes to
Martha Washington's Booke of Coookery has a great
deal to say about the use of green ginger, noting
that "It seems that green ginger was to be had more
easily in medieval and Tudor  England than today
outside of Oriental communities." pp.283-284. She includes
recipes "To make green ginger" as well as a full
discussion on gingerbreads in the sweetmeats section
of the book.
Her notes would probably aid you in your adaptation of
the Plat recipe. The book is still in print by the way
and is great reference volume for anyone wanting to
work with Tudor-Jacobean recipes.
Hope this answers the question regarding "green ginger."

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway