[Sca-cooks] Message for Olwen

Mon Dec 31 09:29:09 PST 2001

Liquor distribution is regulated by the states, so in general, it is illegal
for a producer to directly ship their product to the consumer other than
through the commercial distribution channels.  It is also illegal to sell
alcohol without paying the appropriate state tax.

It is usually perfectly legal for a consumer to purchase wine at a winery
and ship it to themselves, or for a party in one state to ship a bottle of
alcohol as a gift to a party in another state, as this normally does not
constitute commercial distribution.

Of course the state might take a serious look at you if they think your
intent is to dodge taxes.

Bear