[Sca-cooks] Sugar and cattails- was Seeking Improvement

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 31 11:03:27 PST 2001

--- Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> wrote:

> Second, cane sugar was known to the Romans, Pliny
> speaks of it in his
> "Historia Naturalis": something about honey from a
> reed, without bees,
> found in the far eastern lands. No, Phlip, he did
> not mean cattails...

Are you sure? After all, cattails do provide a nice,
if bland, starch food from their roots, and Johan just
told me that the pollen, if gathered at the right
time, makes an acceptible flour substitute. If they
could also produce sugar, that might also qualify them
as an all around Food for the Gods, though perhaps not
for Adamantii.....

Phlip