SC - OT & OOP - salsa recipe

Diana L Skaggs upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Thu Feb 1 03:14:28 PST 2001

Phillipa,
Try this one. I've been canning this successfully for years.  Never can get
enough put up to make it from one season to the next!

5 pounds ripe tomatoes. quartered and cored
2 pounds yellow onions
2 pounds green bell peppers, seeded and cored
12 jalapenos, caps removed

I run everything through my food processor, chopping coarsely.  Place in a
large bowl.  Cover with boiling water.  Allow to stand at least 10 minutes,
longer if you have a distraction.  Drain well.

Place in a large pot and add:

1 and 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 Tbsp. mustard seed
4 Tbsp. sugar
6 tbsp. canning salt

Bring to a simmer, cook 10 minutes.  Pack hot into jars and boiling water
bath for 15 minutes.  Makes 6 pints.

This makes a medium-heat salsa to my taste.  My ex said I was a hot food
weenie.  If you want it hotter, add more jalapenos. If you're not canning
it, refrigerate for a few days to blend the flavors.

I usually leave out the salt, and for variety, sometimes I'll add tomato
sauce if I have extra while I'm putting up the tomatoes.

Liadnan