SC - Boiling Water

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Thu Feb 1 16:40:58 PST 2001

After Caitlin of Enniskillen wrote:
>I have found that no matter what rissole recipe you make, you can't
>keep them around long!

I wrote:

I've given up on cooking goose at the next Boar Hunt - too expensive.
Now i'm considering making rissoles with a pork filling. Again, i'm
cooking for 80-90 diners...

First: I thought of making them ahead of time, and refrigerating or
freezing them. Would this be possible?

Second: There's a functional grill on the stove at the site. Can i
cook them that way, rather than frying in a pan, since i need all my
burners?

Rose responded:
>  Anahita, when we cooked rissoles for the Mists' Bardic Feast last August, we
>  pre-cooked them and them warmed them in the oven.  I believe they were kept
>  in the refrigerator for a day or two before the feast.  Seemed to work out
>  pretty well.

I won't be able to pre-cook the rissoles, but i think i'm supposed to
pre cook the filling, yes? This is why i'm asking about putting them
on the grill.

And Kiri wrote:
>Have you considered oven-frying?  I've done this with all sorts of fried
>things.  What you do is to put a thin layer of oil on a large sheet pan with
>turned-up edges.  Put the pan in the oven and heat the oil. Then put your
>rissoles on the pan and slide into the oven (about 350 - 400, if I recall
>correctly).  Watch them carefully, and when they are brown on top,
>turn them and
>finish browning.  Good for making lots of fried goodies.

The bigger oven will be filled with roasting pork which is served in
the second course (takes about 8 hours). Nothing else goes in it
until the pork comes out - then we can bake the desserts.

The smaller oven doesn't hold a whole lot - around 4 pies, so the
rissoles wouldn't all fit in at once, if i did them that way. I'm not
sure how much space the rissoles take, thus how many sets i'd have to
cook.

Given the kitchen layout it would be VERY dangerous trying to get a
shallow pan of HOT fat out of the oven. I'm concerned about safety.

Adamantius wrote:
>  Are you talking about a sort of pancake griddle section, like a
>  short-order cook uses for eggs, pancakes, French toast, and burgers,
>  among other things?

Yes. It's that kind of griddle - not a grill with bars, just a big
flat metal surface.

>You might well get away with it, depending on what
>  type of rissoles you're talking about.

Ground meat or forcemeat in pastry.

How big should i make them, i.e. the diameter of the dough circles? I
want either one or two per person - bigger if one - is that
easier/quicker to cook than 2?

Anahita